All objects of the 3D view are shown in different drawing styles, including solid lines, wireframe, and as points.
Different drawing styles: (0) as is, (1) flat lines, (2) shaded, (3) wireframe, (4) points, (5) hidden line, (6) no shading.
- Go to the menu View → Draw styles, and select an option.
- As is
- Flat lines
- Hidden line
- No shading
- Or press the corresponding button in the view toolbar.
- The "Flat lines" style gives a solid color to the edges, and the faces are differently illuminated depending on the orientation of the view.
- The "Shaded" style removes the color of the edges. This style is better when displaying objects that have many different faces with normals that are in different directions, particularly directions distinct to the X, Y, and Z axes.
- The "Wireframe" style removes the color of the faces, leaving only the edges and vertices. This results in a see-through mode, so it is possible to see objects that are completely or partially hidden by other objects.
- The "Points" style only shows the vertices where two edges connect. For solids that are made of relatively simple shapes, only a few vertices will be seen. This style is better when displaying meshes, as in this case typically there will be a lot of vertices. To improve visibility, with this style it could be helpful to increase the value of ViewPoint Size.
- The "Hidden line" style shows the triangular faces and their edges as if the objects were converted to triangular meshes.
- The "No shading" style gives a solid color to the edges, and all faces are equally illuminated regardless of the orientation of the view.
The draw style can be set from the Python console.
The argument to the
"Std_DrawStyle" command determines the style.
0, As is
1, Flat lines
5, Hidden line
6, No shading
import FreeCADGui as Gui
- File: New, Open, Close, Close all, Save, Save as, Save a copy, Save all, Revert, Import, Export, Merge project, Project information, Print, Print preview, Export PDF, Recent files, Exit
- Edit: Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Duplicate selection, Refresh, Box selection, Box element selection, Select all, Delete, Placement, Alignment, Toggle Edit mode, Preferences
- View: Create new view, Orthographic view, Perspective view, Fullscreen, Standard views (Fit all, Fit selection, Isometric, Dimetric, Trimetric, Front, Top, Right, Rear, Bottom, Left, Rotate left, Rotate right), Freeze display (Save views, Load views, Freeze view, Clear views), Draw style (As is, Flat lines, Shaded, Wireframe, Points, Hidden line, No shading), Bounding box, Stereo (red/cyan, quad buffer, interleaved rows, interleaved columns, Stereo off, Issue camera position), Zoom (Zoom In, Zoom Out, Box zoom), Document window (Docked, Undocked, Full screen), Toggle axis cross, Clipping plane, Texture mapping, Visibility (Toggle visibility, Show selection, Hide selection, Select visible objects, Toggle all objects, Show all objects, Hide all objects, Toggle selectability, Toggle measurement, Clear measurement), Toggle navigation/edit mode, Appearance, Random color, Workbench, Toolbars (File, Workbench, Macro, View, Structure, Navigation), Panels (Report view, Tree view, Property view, Selection view, Combo view, Python console, DAG view), Tree view actions (Sync view, Sync selection, Sync placement, Pre-selection, Record selection, Single document, Multi document, Collapse/expand, Initiate dragging, Go to selection), Status bar
- Tools: Edit parameters, Save picture, Scene inspector, Dependency graph, Project utility, Measure distance, Text document, View turntable, Units calculator, Customize, Addon manager
- Macro: Macro recording, Stop macro recording, Macros, Execute macro, Debug macro, Stop debugging, Step over, Step into, Toggle breakpoint
- Windows: Next, Previous, Tile, Cascade, Arrange icons, Windows
- Help: Help, FreeCAD Website, Users documentation, Python scripting documentation, Automatic Python modules documentation, FreeCAD forum, FreeCAD FAQ, About FreeCAD, What's This
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac, Docker, AppImage; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting