The Image Workbench manages different types of bitmap images, and allows you to open them in FreeCAD.
Currently, the module supports opening BMP, JPG, PNG, and XPM file formats.
- Open: open an image on a new viewport.
- Import to plane: import an image to a plane in the 3D view.
- Scaling: scale an image imported to a plane.
- Like a Sketch, an imported image can be attached to one of the main planes XY, XZ, or YZ, and given a positive or negative offset.
- The image is imported with relation of 1 pixel to 1 millimeter.
- The recommendation is to have the imported image at a reasonable resolution.
A major use of this workbench is tracing over the image, with the Draft or Sketcher tools, in order to generate a solid body based on the contours of the image.
Tracing over an image works best if the image has a small negative offset, for example, -0.1 mm, from the working plane. This means that the image will be slightly behind the plane where you draw your 2D geometry, so you won't draw on the image itself.
The offset of the image can be set during import, or changed later through its properties.
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting