This constraint aligns lines and points to particular places of a complex sketcher element (there is just one "complex" element so far, the Ellipse).
For Ellipse and its Arc, it supports constraining lines to become major and minor diameters, and constraining points to positions of ellipse's foci.
The constraint requires a lot of effort to use in the way other constraints are. It is hidden in the menu, and not exposed on any toolbars by default. There is a helper tool called Show/Hide Internal Geometry which is exposed on workbenches' toolbars and aimed to completely remove the need to invoke the constraint manually.
Operation on Ellipse
- Select elements to be aligned and an ellipse. The ellipse must be selected last. Accepted are up to two lines and up to two points.
- Invoke the constraint by picking the menu item (Sketch → Sketcher constraints → Constrain InternalAlignment).
The first line that was selected gets aligned to become ellipse's major diameter (but if it is not occupied already by another line, otherwise it will become minor diameter). The second line is aligned to become minor radius. The lines are automatically switched to construction.
Likewise, the first point is constrained to become the first unoccupied focus, and the second point goes to the other focus.
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('InternalAlignment:EllipseMajorDiameter', index_of_line, index_of_ellipse))
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('InternalAlignment:EllipseMinorDiameter', index_of_line, index_of_ellipse))
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('InternalAlignment:EllipseFocus1', index_of_point, 1, index_of_ellipse))
Sketch.addConstraint(Sketcher.Constraint('InternalAlignment:EllipseFocus2', index_of_point, 1, index_of_ellipse))
- Sketch is a sketch object.
- Number 1 in the focus calls stands for starting point of a point element (it is ignored).
Introduced in FreeCAD v0.15.4309
- Sketcher geometries: Point, Line by 2 point, Create an arc, Arc, Arc by 3 Point, Create a circle, Circle, Circle by 3 Point, Create a conic, Ellipse by center, Ellipse by 3 points, Arc of ellipse, Arc of hyperbola, Arc of parabola, Create a B-spline, Create B-spline, Create periodic B-pline, Polyline (multiple-point line), Rectangle, Create regular polygon, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon, Heptagon, Octagon, Create Regular Polygon, Slot, Fillet, Trimming, Extend, External Geometry, CarbonCopy, Construction Mode
- Sketcher constraints
- Geometric constraints Coincident, Point On Object, Vertical, Horizontal, Parallel, Perpendicular, Tangent, Equal Length, Symmetric, Constrain Block
- Dimensional constraints Lock, Horizontal Distance, Vertical Distance, Distance, Radius, Internal Angle, Snell's Law, Internal Alignment, Toggle reference/driving constraint,
- Sketcher tools Select solver DOFs, Close Shape, Connect Edges, Select Constraints, Select Origin, Select Vertical Axis, Select Horizontal Axis, Select Redundant Constraints, Select Conflicting Constraints, Select Elements Associated with constraints, Show/Hide internal geometry, Symmetry, Clone, Copy, Move, Rectangular Array, Delete All Geometry, Delete All Constraints
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting