The Report view is a panel that shows text messages from FreeCAD processes and tools. It is available in the menu View → Panels → Report view.
Certain properties of this panel, like color of the text and whether to display it automatically on warnings or errors, can be configured in the General → Output window tab of the preferences editor.
The report view showing messages when FreeCAD has just started.
See also: Console API, and FreeCAD Scripting Basics.
The report view displays messages from the internal FreeCAD
FreeCAD.Console.PrintMessage("text"), print any sort of informative message, that doesn't imply any misbehavior; for example, print the coordinates of points, the result of a distance calculation, the number of vertices in a shape, etc. By default, in black color.
FreeCAD.Console.PrintWarning("text"), print messages that are intended to warn the user about strange behavior in the application. Warnings should be shown when some functionality is missing but the software still works acceptably. By default, in yellow color.
FreeCAD.Console.PrintError("text"), print messages that are intended to be error messages, that is, when a critical component is missing that makes a certain operation fail. By default, in red color.
FreeCAD.Console.PrintLog("text"), print messages that are going into the logs. These messages could be anything that is valuable to troubleshoot a problem in the future by reading the logs, for example, starting or closing a workbench. By default, in blue color.
These functions can be used from the Python console directly, or from macros and custom workbenches.
Example messages in the report view: a general message, a warning, an error, and a logged message.
Right click on the report view shows some commands:
- Options: logging, warning, error, redirect Python output, redirect Python errors, go to end.
- Copy: stores the selected text in the clipboard for later pasting; it is disabled if nothing is selected.
- Select all: selects all text in the report view.
- Clear: erases all messages in the report view. This is useful if you want to troubleshoot a tool that prints messages to the report view, and want to be sure there are no old messages from previous tools.
- Save as: save the messages in the report view to a text file.
- Preferences Editor, Interface Customization
- Main window: Standard menu, 3D view, Combo view (Tree view, Task panel, Property editor), Selection view, Report view, Python console, Status bar, DAG view
- Auxiliary windows: Scene inspector, Dependency graph
- File: New, Open, Close, Close all, Save, Save as, Save a copy, Save all, Revert, Import, Export, Merge project, Project information, Print, Print preview, Export PDF, Recent files, Exit
- Edit: Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Duplicate selection, Refresh, Box selection, Box element selection, Select all, Delete, Placement, Alignment, Toggle Edit mode, Preferences
- View: Create new view, Orthographic view, Perspective view, Fullscreen, Standard views (Fit all, Fit selection, Isometric, Dimetric, Trimetric, Front, Top, Right, Rear, Bottom, Left, Rotate left, Rotate right), Freeze display (Save views, Load views, Freeze view, Clear views), Draw style (As is, Flat lines, Shaded, Wireframe, Points, Hidden line, No shading), Bounding box, Stereo (red/cyan, quad buffer, interleaved rows, interleaved columns, Stereo off, Issue camera position), Zoom (Zoom In, Zoom Out, Box zoom), Document window (Docked, Undocked, Full screen), Toggle axis cross, Clipping plane, Texture mapping, Visibility (Toggle visibility, Show selection, Hide selection, Select visible objects, Toggle all objects, Show all objects, Hide all objects, Toggle selectability, Toggle measurement, Clear measurement), Toggle navigation/edit mode, Appearance, Random color, Workbench, Toolbars (File, Workbench, Macro, View, Structure, Navigation), Panels (Report view, Tree view, Property view, Selection view, Combo view, Python console, DAG view), Tree view actions (Sync view, Sync selection, Sync placement, Pre-selection, Record selection, Single document, Multi document, Collapse/expand, Initiate dragging, Go to selection), Status bar
- Tools: Edit parameters, Save picture, Scene inspector, Dependency graph, Project utility, Measure distance, Text document, View turntable, Units calculator, Customize, Addon manager
- Macro: Macro recording, Stop macro recording, Macros, Execute macro, Debug macro, Stop debugging, Step over, Step into, Toggle breakpoint
- Windows: Next, Previous, Tile, Cascade, Arrange icons, Windows
- Help: Help, FreeCAD Website, Users documentation, Python scripting documentation, Automatic Python modules documentation, FreeCAD forum, FreeCAD FAQ, About FreeCAD, What's This
- Installation: Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Std Base; Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting