This tool creates a new sketch, creates a new PartDesign Body to contain the sketch if one does not exist and automatically opens the Sketcher workbench after creation.
When creating models using the PartDesign workbench, this tool should be preferred to the Sketcher NewSketch tool found in the Sketcher workbench.
How to use
- Press the button from the PartDesign toolbar.
- In the Tasks panel, the Select feature dialog is brought up. Select one of the planes in the list or in the 3D view which can be reoriented for better visibility.
- Press OK.
- The interface automatically switches to the Sketcher workbench and the sketch can be edited. Once the sketch is exited, the interface is brought back to the PartDesign workbench and the 3D view is restored to the view orientation prior to creating the sketch.
- Alternatively, a plane or a face on the existing active body can be selected before creating the sketch, in which case the sketch is instantly created.
- To change the attachment of an existing sketch, change its Map Mode property (see Properties.)
- DATAMap Mode: mode of attachment of the sketch to another object, usually a plane or a face but can be other types of objects. Click once in the field to reveal a ... button and press it to open the Attachment dialog. If set to Deactivated, the Placement property is enabled.
- DATAPlacement: controls the orientation of the sketch in the 3D space; see placement. Disabled if the sketch is attached through the Map Mode property.
- Modeling tools
- Datum tools: Create a datum point, Create a datum line, Create a datum plane, Create a local coordinate system, Create a shape binder, Create a clone
- Additive tools: Pad, Revolution, Additive loft, Additive pipe, Additive box, Additive cone, Additive cylinder, Additive ellipsoid, Additive prism, Additive sphere, Additive torus, Additive wedge
- Subtractive tools: Pocket, Hole, Groove, Subtractive loft, Subtractive pipe, Subtractive box, Subtractive cone, Subtractive cylinder, Subtractive ellipsoid, Subtractive prism, Subtractive sphere, Subtractive torus, Subtractive wedge
- Installation: Unix, Windows, Mac; Getting started
- Basics: About FreeCAD, Workbenches, Preferences, Document structure, Interface Customization, Properties, Mouse Model; Tutorials
- Workbenches: Arch, Draft, FEM, Image, Inspection, Mesh, OpenSCAD, Part, PartDesign, Path, Plot, Points, Raytracing, Reverse Engineering, Robot, Ship, Sketcher, Spreadsheet, Start, Surface workbench, TechDraw, Test Framework, Web
- Scripting: Introduction to Python, FreeCAD scripting tutorial, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, How to install macros, Gui Command, Units Modules: Builtin modules, Workbench creation, Installing more workbenches Meshes: Mesh Scripting, Mesh Module Parts: The Part Module, Topological data scripting, PythonOCC, Mesh to Part Coin scenegraph: The Coin/Inventor scenegraph, Pivy Qt interface: PySide, Using the FreeCAD GUI, Dialog creation Parametric objects: Scripted objects Other: Code snippets, Line drawing function, Embedding FreeCAD, FreeCAD vector math library, Power users hub, Python, Macros, FreeCAD Scripting Basics, Topological data scripting