Integrate Cycles renderer
As the Raytracing Workbench of FreeCAD is already made to support several render engines, it is fairly easy to add a new one.
- Get familiar with the Cycles render engine as used in Blender. You might need to learn to use Blender, as it is the primary tool to use Cycles.
- Learn how to build Cycles on the different platforms. As the standalone version of Cycles is not yet as popular as Blender itself, precompiled packages are not available
- Learn the XML API of Cycles, how data can be passed to the renderer
- Create basic functionality in FreeCAD to create such XML files
- Create a new render object by adapting the luxrender object
- A new available renderer added to the Raytracing Workbench
Since direct modeling is a huge area in constant evolution, the work done in this GSoC will only cover a small part of it. But if the bases are done right, extending them will be easy and could develop very far.
Programming language C++ Good understanding and use of APIs from FreeCAD and Cycles Knowledge of 3D modeling, topology and computational geometry is a plus