This area is the main help area for newcomers to FreeCAD.
Please note that like FreeCAD itself, these pages are in continuous development. FreeCAD already features many interesting tools for the final user, and more are continuously added, which is why at the moment there is still missing or outdated documentation for the end user.
But don't feel discouraged, browse the contents of this section, and, if you cannot find the information you need, don't hesitate to ask! Among the developers or in the small but growing FreeCAD users community, there will certainly be someone who can help you. You can leave comments related to this wiki documentation site on the FreeCAD help forum and ask your questions there.
And if you have some information you would like to appear here, why not contribute and help us make this manual grow. Head to the Help FreeCAD page, that will help you to get started.
If you would like to know how the development of FreeCAD has started years ago visit the History page.
- The Arch Module for working with architectural elements.
- The Assembly Module for working with multiple shapes, multiple documents, multiple files, multiple relationships...
- The Complete Workbench hold all commands and features from all the modules and workbenches which met certain quality criteria.
- The Draft Workbench contains 2D tools and basic 2D and 3D CAD operations.
- The Drawing workbench for displaying your 3D work on a 2D sheet.
- The FEM Module provides Finite Element Analysis (FEA) workflow.
- The Image Module for working with bitmap images.
- The Inspection Module is made to give you specific tools for examination of shapes. It is still in development.
- The Mesh Module for working with triangulated meshes.
- The OpenSCAD Module for interoperability with OpenSCAD and repairing CSG model history.
- The Part Module for working with CAD parts.
- The Part Design Workbench for building Part shapes from sketches.
- The Path Workbench is used to produce G-Code instructions. It is still in early stages of development. Only v 0.16
- The Plot Workbench The Plot module allows to edit and save output plots created from other modules and tools.
- The Points Module for working with point clouds.
- The Raytracing Module for working with ray-tracing (rendering)
- The Reverse Engineering Module is intended to give you specific tools to convert shapes/solids/meshes into parametric FreeCAD-compatible features. It is still in development.
- The Robot Module for studying robot movements.
- The Ship Workbench FreeCAD-Ship works over Ship entities, that must be created on top of provided geometry.
- The Sketcher Module for working with geometry-constrained sketches.
- The Spreadsheet Workbench for creating and manipulating spreadsheet data.
- The Start Center allows you to quickly jump to one of the most common workbenches.
- The TechDraw Workbench is the more advanced and feature-rich successor of Drawing
- The Test framework is for debugging FreeCAD.
- The Web Module provides you with a browser window instead of the 3D-View within FreeCAD.
Power users have extended FreeCAD with various custom external workbenches, that are not integrated into the FreeCAD source code (yet!), but are easy to install on an existing FreeCAD installation. See here for an overview of the already available workbenches.
For instructions how to install these workbenches refer to the tutorial How to install additional workbenches.
Power users have written various macros to enhance FreeCAD with more capabilities for a list of the macros refer to the page macros recipes.
For instructions how to install the macros refer to the tutorial How to install macros.
This is the official FreeCAD online help. Please note that the whole online help system is currently in rework. It will be used to generate a .CHM file, that will be distributed with the binary packages of FreeCAD. At the moment the online help summarizes some of the most complete sections of this wiki.
- The Power users hub is the place to go if you would like to see more advanced use of FreeCAD
- David is a very low cost 3D scanning system that can already work well with FreeCAD
- Architecture workflow : An example of how FreeCAD can begin to have its preliminary place in an architecture workflow...
- If you would like to help FreeCAD, head to the Help FreeCAD page.
- The FreeCAD Community Portal lists projects made by community members around FreeCAD.
- The Wished tools page lists CAD tools that end-users would like to see in FreeCAD. Why not add yours there?
- Don't understand a term or phrase as used in FreeCAD? Try the Glossary page.