The polygon tool creates a regular polygon by picking two points, the center and a second point defining a radius. It takes the linewidth and color previously set on the Tasks tab.
How to use
- Press the Draft Polygon button, or press P then G keys
- Click a first point on the 3D view, or type a coordinate to indicate the center
- Adjust the desired number of sides in the options dialog,
- Click another point on the 3D view, or type a radius value to define the polygon radius. The polygon will also be a face, even if it appears as wireframe.
- To enter coordinates manually, simply enter the numbers, then press ENTER between each X, Y and Z component.
- Press T or click the checkbox to check/uncheck the Continue button. If continue mode is on, the Polygon tool will restart after you finish or close it, allowing you to draw another one without pressing the Polygon button again.
- Press CTRL while drawing to force snapping your point to the nearest snap location, independently of the distance.
- Press SHIFT while drawing to constrain your next point horizontally or vertically in relation to the last one.
- Press I or the Filled button to have the polygon filled with a face after it has been closed
- Press ESC or the Cancel button to abort the current command.
- Polygons, when in "Flat Lines" display mode, can display a hatch pattern, by setting their "Pattern" property below.
- DATARadius: The radius of the defining circle
- DATADraw Mode: Specifies if the polygon is inscribed or circumscribed around the defining circle
- DATAFaces Number: The number of sides of the polygon
- DATAChamfer Size: Specifies the size of chamfered corners
- DATAFillet Radius: Specifies a curvature radius to give to the corners of the rectangle
- DATAMake Face: Fills the polygon with a face
- VIEWPattern: Specifies a hatch pattern to fill the wire with
- VIEWPattern Size: Specifies the size of the hatch pattern
See also Draft Pattern page.
The Polygon tool can by used in macros and from the python console by using the following function:
- Creates a polygon object with the given number of faces and the radius.
- If inscribed is False, the polygon is circumscribed around a circle with the given radius, otherwise it is inscribed.
- If face is True, the resulting shape is displayed as a face, otherwise as a wireframe.
- Returns the newly created object.